House of Cards tumbling for Spacey?
Production of the latest season of US series ‘House of Cards’ has been halted, its creator Netflix has said.
The company along with the show’s producer Media Rights Capital (MRC) announced the decision following allegations of sexual harassment against its co-lead actor Kevin Spacey.
The award-winning political drama recently began filming its sixth and final season. However, Netflix said on Twitter on Tuesday that production of the final instalment had been “suspended until further notice.”
58-year-old Spacey has been at the centre of a slew of harassment allegations this week including one from fellow actor Anthony Rapp, who told online publication BuzzFeed that Spacey had placed him on a bed and climbed on top of him following a party at his apartment during the 1980s.
US filmmaker Tony Montana has claimed Spacey groped him at a bar in Los Angeles in 2003 while an unnamed British man claims Spacey exposed himself to him in 2010.
Spacey has two Academy Awards to his name for the films ‘The Usual Suspects’ and ‘American Beauty’, and is well known for his role as the malevolent President Frank Underwood in ‘House of Cards’.
In response to the claims against Spacey the International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has also revoked an award it had planned to present to the actor in November, saying it would no longer be presenting the accolade “in light of recent events.”